Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The "Great" Dream

Hello! I honestly haven't had much time to read due to the busy schedule I have with my extra curricular activities but I have been reading 20 minutes in class during independent reading time. Upon the rough schedule I have, I try to at least 15 minutes before I go to bed and sometimes even more if I'm enjoying the book and want to know what will happen next. Within a course of a couple of weeks, I have been reading a non fiction book called When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi and have started my AP book The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.


  Image result for the Great gatsby


SPOILER

The Great Gatsby is a story told by Nick Carraway about Daisy and his next door neighbor, Jay Gatsby. Daisy and Gatsby had fallen in love before she had met her husband Tom but they could not get married because Gatsby was not rich enough for such a wealthy woman like Daisy due to being stationed at a camp. After he is released from the camp he is able to provide for himself and become wealthy to get Daisy back.

Throughout the book, Gatsby tries to overcome his past of being poor in New York City and succeeds in the "American Dream" by being able to afford "a factual imitation of some Hotel de Ville in Normandy, with a tower on one side, spanking new under a thing beard of raw ivy, and a marble swimming pool, and more than forty acres of lawn and garden"(Fitzgerald 5). Everyone talks about the American Dream as being very famous and rich but thats not what reality is. Most foreigners think that everyone in America live life the easy way with a luxurious lifestyle but there are a lot of people who live ordinary lives. In the story, Fitzgerald uses the green light as a symbol to portray Gatsby's hopes and dreams for his love life with Daisy. As Gatsby is sitting on a dock he "glances seaward--and distinguishe[s] nothing except a single green light, minute and far away"(Fitzgerald 21). He is reaching for something that is too far out of his reach but something that he can imagine. Gatsby never ending love for Daisy makes him continue to strive for his wealth through hard work and determination.




3 comments:

  1. Since Gatsby knew he could never have Daisy, why did he try to take her in the first place? Why does love make people do such stupid things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the movie, but I haven't read this book yet although I really want to. This book made me sympathize with Gatsby because he loved her through everything and he still didn't end up with her. I just don't understand why Daisy didn't leave her husband to be with Gatsby if she also loved him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your summary and details of your book and it made me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete